St. Paul University Quezon City is one of forty Three (43 ) schools operating under the management of the Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres (SPC) in the Philippines.
The Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres transferred their Novitiate and Provincial House from busy Herran Street in Malate, Manila to a quieter site in what is now known as Quezon City in 1931.
In 1941, after a decade of peaceful living in the very tranquil residential area, the Sisters and the Novices had to give way to a diametrically opposed group, the Japanese occupational forces. The Novitiate and Provincialate, which then occupied the compound, became a garrison for Japanese soldiers. The end of World War II in 1945 found the Novitiate Building in ruins. After reconstruction, a Grade School was opened on July 7, 1946 to answer the educational needs of the post-liberation years. Soon after that, a permit to open First Year High School was obtained in May 1947. A second building was constructed in 1950. The reconstructed building housed the school and the Sisters’ Convent while the newly constructed building was occupied by a new group of novices on December 8, 1950. Later, the Novitiate and Provincial House were transferred to Antipolo, Rizal. In July 1966, the College Department was opened upon the request of the Parents of the Paulinian High School Graduates. In June 1973, the Grade School was transferred to Pasig, Metro Manila but the school maintained its High School and College Departments.
Situated on a gentle slope of what was originally known as New Manila, the SPUQC campus now occupies an entire block bordered by busy Aurora Boulevard, Gilmore Avenue, Third Street, and Doña Magdalena Hemady Street in Quezon City. A number of construction projects have taken place within the last three decades. Enrollment has increased tremendously, too, and has comprised more that 70% of the whole student population. More programs are now being offerd.
To respond to the signs of the times, SPUQC established the Center for Career Development in 1994 as a night school and a part of the institution’s Community Extension Program. Within the last two decades, the CCD has expanded its programs and gained teh recognition of the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA). It also opened its own co-educational Pre-school Department and Institute of Graduate Studies in June 2004 and re-opened its Grade School Department to boys and girls in June 2005. In June 2006, SPUQC started to open its doors to young men who desire to undergo their college education and formation in St. Paul University Quezon City. The High School Department followed suit when the first set of graduates from co-ed Grade School enrolled in the High School in June 2008.
On April 25, 2007, the Articles and Plan of Merging St. Paul University Quezon City and St. Paul University San Miguel Bulacan was approved by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and endorsed by the Department of Education, Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) and the Commission on Higher Education (CHED).
Committed to academic excellence, SPUQC continually upgrades the quality of Paulinian education. The Liberal Arts and Commerce programs were first granted accreditation status by PAASCU in 1983 along with the High School Department, The application for the accreditation of the Science programs followed in 1989. All these programs have periodically been granted re- accreditation status since then.
While tremendous changes have taken place, one very important factor has remained constant: the SPUQC Paulinian, be she/he a religious, a faculty member, a non-teaching staff member, or a student, has remained warm, simple, and active.
SPUQC 70th Founding Anniversary: Rekindle the Passion of Paulinian Educators as Shepherds
For 70 years, St. Paul University Quezon City (SPUQC) continues to live up to its name as a Catholic institution committed to promoting social responsibility, personal and spiritual growth, and quality education. Empowered by its Vision-Mission, it works its way to achieving its goal in instilling values, a sense of responsibility and compassion, competence, and service in its students.
SPUQC has many things to be proud of – its being a member of the St. Paul University System, ISO Certification, and Level III accreditation status in most of its program.
Beyond recognition and status, the institution focuses on Catholic formation that is bound by a common commitment to form Christ-centered, integrated, and competent persons in the service of the Church and society. Furthermore, the institution believes in holistic formation by encouraging students and personnel alike to be socially, culturally, morally, and politically aware of their roles and how they could contribute to the society taking into consideration the values that the school upholds.
Sr. Ma. Gemma Moralita, SPC, head of the Christian Formation Office (CFO), emphasized that the heart of Paulinian education is Catholic formation. It concretizes the Vision-Mission of the school as it reflects on the curricula of the different programs. It stresses three main components, as practiced in the institution, – Religious Education, Campus Ministry, and Community Extension Service. Religious Education focuses on the teaching of the Catholic doctrine to inculcate values in the students. Meanwhile, Campus Ministry is a celebration of faith where the creative side of students and personnel alike are tapped and nurtured. Lastly, the Community Extension Services is the application of all knowledge. It provides a venue for Paulinians to serve their communities and live up their Paulinian education.
The Paulinian community has been active in their willingness to serve. One manifestation is SCOP or Student Community Outreach Program that centers on the involvement of the student in their community through numerous activities. The Psychology Department has its share of community service through its Early Childhood Education program in Barangay Valencia, Quezon City. The Hotel and Restaurant Management is not lagging behind with its Feeding Program and Nutrition Education. The Business Management Association, on the one hand, offers Livelihood and Skills Training. The Mass Communication Society conducts English tutorials to students of Valencia Elementary School. The Information Technology is known for its Computer Literacy Program while the Biology Society and the Nursing Society are committed to the fulfillment of the Medical and Dental Mission, and Health Education. Furthermore, catechism in public schools is the thrust of the Religious Education Society.
True to its goal to immerse everyone in the community, the newly-organized Community Development Center (CDC) involves parents, faculty, staff, and auxiliary in its exposure programs, seminars, and trainings. To start with is the launch of the Values Formation Seminar for the parents.
Guided by a strong Paulinian foundation, reform in the society and perhaps, change in the world will no longer be a dream, but a reality. And that is how WE, PAULINIANS, MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
In 1696, Fr. Louis Chauvet followed the path of his calling when he, with the help of Marie Anne de Tilly, founded the Daughters of the School in Levesville-la-Chenard in the diocese of Chartres, France. In 1708, the thriving institution was entrusted to Bishop Paul Godet des Marais. Despite the founder’s death, it spread to different parts of the globe, including the Philippines.
In 1904, the Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres established the first Paulinian school in Dumaguete, Negros Oriental. Seven years after, the Sisters opened the first Novitiate in Malate, Manila. However, in 1931, it was moved to Quezon City.
St. Paul College Quezon City has its main campus located at Aurora Blvd. corner Gilmore Avenue in Quezon City.
World War II was a sore to the memory for the Novitiate transformed into a Japanese garrison. However, after the war, the Sisters opened a Grade School for boys and girls in 1946. In 1947, the government recognized the Elementary Department and allowed the opening of First Year High School. Nineteen forty eight to 1951 marked the consecutive opening of the Second, Third, and Fourth Year High School classes. In 1951, the first High School graduation happened and the Secondary Program was recognized.
The mid-50’s positioned St. Paul College Quezon City (SPCQ) as an exclusive school for girls. In 1966, the College Department opened with two courses – Bachelor of Arts and Diploma in Secretarial Science – in response to the request of the parents of Paulinian High School graduates.
SPCQ grew into an institution that offered Bachelor of Science in Commerce in 1967, a two-year program in Hotel and Restaurant Management in 1977, Bachelor of Science with majors in Psychology, Mathematics, Biology, Secretarial Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, Nutrition and Dietetics in 1982, and Computer Education and Religious Studies in 1988.
Since 1983, PAASCU has been awarding various accreditation status to the different Academic Programs of the institution.
In response to the needs of the less privileged, the Center for Career Development (CCD), a night school of the Community Extension Program (CEP), was built in 1995 while the Early Childhood Program at Barangays Valencia and Ober Da Bakod was launched in 1999. In July 2001, two CCD programs – Geriatric Care and Executive Assistantship – were introduced.
The expansion continued for in 2003 TUV Rheinland Philippines Ltd. awarded SPCQ the ISO 9001:2000 Certificate, commending its Integrative Modular Curriculum Delivery System (IMCDS). The growth of the College Department followed suit with the birth of these courses – Nursing, Tourism, Management Accounting, and Management Entrepreneurship. The High School Department did not lag behind with the inception of the Science Section.
When Fr. Chauvet followed the path of his calling, he reaped success, not for himself, but for the St. Paul Schools all over the world.
Saint Paul University Quezon City (SPUQC) over the years has grown into an institution that continues to upgrade its quality of education, making it as one of the varied synonyms for academic excellence.
Its transformation from a college into a university system status is, by far, the most recent achievement of the institution. In 2004, the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) accorded the six (6) Paulinian Higher Education Institutions the status of being a University Status. Being a constituent institution, St. Paul College Quezon City then changed its name to St. Paul University Quezon City. Truly, this has given birth to more accomplishments as the institution’s doors have been opened to little boys and girls three years since; thus, establishing the Pre-School and the Grade School Departments. For this school year, SPUQC is providing quality education rooted in the Gospel values and social transformation to male students in the College Department.
SPUQC has been touted as an ISO 2001:9000-certified institution since March 2003. Moreover, its College Department, specifically the Colleges of Liberal Arts, Science and Commerce, is enjoying PAASCU Level II accredited. The High School Department has been awarded accreditation by PAASCU since 1983.
Providing quality education that is responsive to the needs of the times and the community is one of the primary aims of SPUQC. Consequently, for years now, it is a co-ed school offering Preparatory, Grade School, High School and College education.
To answer the growing population of the student body and more so, to provide more rooms conducive to learning, renovations, constructions, and facilities acquisition form part of the organization’s agenda. Also in the list is the constant hiring of faculty who are, not only specialists, but also witnesses of education for social transformation.
To this day, SPUQC is true to its noblest mission in the commitment of educating and forming Christ-centered, integrated, responsible and compassionate individuals in the service of the Church and society.